Natural Resource Co-management/ CBNRM Facilitator
This fixed-term contract position has opened at the Association of Water and Rural Development (AWARD), an NGO based in Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province. This position will form part of the AWARD team within the USAID RESILIM-Olifants program, the purpose being to reduce vulnerability through building improved transboundary governance and management of the Olifants Catchment so as to enhance the resilience of its people and ecosystems through systemic and social learning approaches. This post aims to strengthen CBNRM and co-management experience in South Africa by providing support from middle and senior managers and experiential learning for co-management of protected areas in the Olifants Catchment.
Job Purpose: To contribute to holistic and systemic action-research and implementation related to community based co-management of biodiversity and natural resources (including protected area co-management and biodiversity stewardship) and (climate) change mitigation in the Olifants River Catchment (especially in areas of land tenure change).
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Support the collaborative strategic design, planning and implementation of transformative approaches for co-management initiatives in key areas of the Olifants River Catchment so as to promote biodiversity and water conservation, livelihood security and climate change adaptation
• Provide input in the technical and socially-orientated field work and monitoring in relation to the above work
• Support and strengthen community engagement and participation for protected area co-management and governance, biodiversity stewardship, and further natural resource management
• Support engagement with further stakeholders involved in above areas, including conservation and natural resource management agencies
• Contribute to the systemic analysis of ecosystems, biodiversity, livelihoods and natural resource management in relation to climate change and other change factors
• Partake in strategic planning and management of implementation initiatives directed at natural resource protection and restoration in a changing world
Qualifications, experience and key competencies:
• Minimum Master’s degree in either Natural Resource management, Environment, International development, Social Sciences, or relevant field required
• Minimum of three (3) years professional working experience and focus on community engagement, facilitation and participatory research;
• Management and decision making experience for at least three (3) years is essential;
• Project management and budget monitoring skills;
• Interpersonal skills;
• Interest and experience in participatory and systemic approaches;
• Cross-cutting knowledge and skills related to biodiversity and natural resources management with a focus on climate change adaptation;
• The following skills, experience or knowledge of, will be advantageous:
o Systemic thinking, understanding of resilience as a framing concept
o Developmental work
o Experience in initiatives aimed at social transformation
• Understanding of land claims history and dynamics in South Africa
• will be a distinct advantage;
• Ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and sectors;
• Experience in CBNRM or related fields will be a distinct advantage
• Fluency in Se-Sotho will be a distinct advantage
• Attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
• Liaise with project partners;
• Teamwork and collaboration;
• Computer literacy and knowledge of office software packages (Microsoft Office package and GIS software);
• Planning and project skills;
• Human resources management and supervisory experience;
• Basic financial management knowledge;
• Fluency in English (read, write, understand);
• Preference will be given to persons that have previously worked in an NGO environment;
• Valid driver’s licence (EB) – must have driving experience of more than 2 years;
• Willingness to travel.
Closing date: 24th November, 2016.
Candidates who meet the above requirements should forward their motivational letter and resume, including at least three contactable references via email to the attention of Office Manager:
Note: please include the following for your referees: a reachable mobile or telephone number and a working or valid email address.
AWARD is committed to fair recruitment and selection practices and shall not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibility, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, political opinion, culture, language and birth.
AWARD reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement at any time or choose not to fill this position or to employ from within the organization