The Association for Water and Rural Development (AWARD) is looking for the services of a GIS-based Map maker. The services will be required part-time depending on the current needs of the organization. AWARD is an NGO based in Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province.
Purpose: To provide services in relation to GIS-based map production as required by the various projects and programmes implemented by the organization.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Producing professional standard maps for reporting, publishing, & media purposes using ArcGIS and/or Quantum GIS (QGIS).
• Researching, acquiring, and generating spatial layers or datasets relevant to creating maps, and converting any such data sets to data formats compatible with ArcGIS and/or QGIS.
• Communicating and coordinating with project leaders (requiring maps) and database managers (overseeing databases) to ensure smooth map production processes.
• The service required will need flexibility from the service provider, in order to be responsive to the changing map production needs of the various projects within the organization.
• Experience making professional standard maps for reporting, publishing, & media purposes using ArcGIS and/or Quantum GIS (QGIS) in conjunction with suitable graphics editing software.
• Familiarity with exporting ArcGIS or QGIS map documents to appropriate formats and resolutions for the designated end-use, whether digital or hard copy.
• Familiarity working with templates in producing above maps.
• Experience and familiarity with other GIS-based programmes such as Google Earth Pro, etc.
• Experience and familiarity working with a range of spatial data and file formats including: ESRI geodatabases and shapefiles, Google Earth kmz/kmls, Microsoft Excel, and various raster based formats.
• Experience with researching, acquiring, and/or generating spatial layers or datasets relevant to creating maps, and converting any such data sets to data formats compatible with ArcGIS and/or QGIS.
• Knowledge of ColorBrewer or similar programmes will be beneficial.
Closing date: 16 October 2017
Candidates who meet the above requirements should forward their cover letter, resume’ and copies of certificates, ID copy, and three contactable referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of the Office Manager. A non-response from AWARD within 10 days can be taken as an unsuccessful application.
AWARD is committed to fair recruitment and selection practices and shall not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibility, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, political opinion, culture, language and birth.
AWARD reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement at any time or choose not to acquire this service.